I Was Told I'll Die 17 Yrs Ago - HIV Positive Nurse

Mrs. Georgina Ahamefule, is an indigene of Imo State who tested positive to Human Immuno Deficiency Virus while working as an auxiliary nurse at a certain Medical Centre in Lagos. At first, due to her naivety, she found the whole world crashing on her, no thanks to her employer, Dr Molokwu, the Chief Medical Director of the Medical Centre who terminated her employment which began in 1989 and advised her to go back to her village and die since she had but little time.
A lot happened to this woman, as she shares her traumatic experiences during a tumultuous journey to victory. The high point of her account is that her fighting spirit is backed by God and the Social and Economic Rights Action Center
She won a N7-million lawsuit against Dr Molokwu. It was a landmark judgment for Felix Morka, the executive Director of SERAC who described the judge's decision as representing a major victory for Georgina and all those living with the HIV virus in the country.

Dr Morka also disclosed during a press conference that the judgment was the first-ever judicial pronouncement on the unlawfulness of HIV-based discrimination and therefore, significant in holding that conducting HIV test without the individual's consent is tantamount to unlawful battery... Read on.
I joined a certain Medical Centre as an auxiliary nurse in 1989. In 1995, while I was pregnant, I had boils on my skin and I went to my employer for treatment. He carried out medical examinations and diagnostic tests without disclosing the nature and outcome of the tests to me. My employer later referred me for further tests at the University of Lagos Teaching Hospital with a note in a sealed envelope.
The doctor at LUTH on his own part carried out various tests without also disclosing the nature of those tests to me. I was subsequently informed that I had tested positive to the Human Immuno Deficiency Virus (HIV). I was never provided any form of counseling before or after the tests were carried out as required by medical ethics and the law. In fact, I did not understand what was going on but I remember that I was pregnant at that time. The situation was made worse when my employer advised that I should prepare to die since I had not much time.
Source: Allafrica
You have read this article I Was Told I'll Die 17 Yrs Ago - HIV Positive Nurse with the title I Was Told I'll Die 17 Yrs Ago - HIV Positive Nurse. You can bookmark this page URL http://meditacaoplanetaria.blogspot.com/2012/10/i-was-told-i-die-17-yrs-ago-hiv.html. Thanks!