Van Persie wins PFA Player of the Year award

Robin van Persie
Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has been named the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year.

The 28-year-old Holland international has scored 27 Barclays Premier League goals this season for Arsène Wenger's side - his most fruitful campaign for the Club - and was humbled to be recognised by his peers.

"If other people are saying it, it is special, but it is even more special if your opponents are saying it," he told Press Association Sport.

"It is very special because you are playing against them week in week out and every single player does everything to win. In the end, if they make up their minds that I am the best player it is a big honour."

Van Persie may have picked up the top individual honour but he was quick to point out it would not have been possible without his Arsenal team-mates.

More pictures when you continue ...
Robin van Persie with Kyle Walker
"Without them I could not have achieved it," he said.

"For example Theo Walcott, he has given me more than 12 assists and I do really appreciate that."

Van Persie was utilised mainly as a second striker, and occasionally out on the wing, in the early stages of his Gunners career after being signed by Wenger from Feyenoord in 2004.

But he has flourished since switching to the centre-forward role - despite initially not having been convinced he could make the transition.

"Now I am [confident]," he said. "To be fair, when I first went there I wasn't really as confident and I wasn't really sure I could do it. It took a bit of time but after a couple of months a slowly realised I could do a good job there."

The Young Player of the Year award went to Tottenham and England full back Kyle Walker.

The 21-year-old Spurs defender beat the likes of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sergio Aguero and Danny Welbeck to win the trophy and came as quite a surprise to the former Sheffield United man.

"I was a bit surprised because defenders don't normally get these awards and get the limelight as much as the centre forwards," he said.

"If you look at the people I was in with then it is a great honour to get the award and hopefully there is more to come.

"It is always an honour to be selected by the people you play against and, like I say, hopefully I can get a few more of these and some medals with Tottenham along the way."
You have read this article with the title Van Persie wins PFA Player of the Year award. You can bookmark this page URL http://meditacaoplanetaria.blogspot.com/2012/04/van-persie-wins-pfa-player-of-year-award.html. Thanks!